Do I have an employment law case? 2 Answers as of July 13, 2011

I am a senior citizen. I was just laid off from my job. They said the company told the division that they had to reduce the number of employees. Since I was last hired, then I had to go. At the same time they are advertising for the same job in a near by city. They know that i would relocate. Do I have a case?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
The first thing you need to do is contact your employer and tell them about your interest. You probably should even put in an application directly in response to the ad, and also inform your former employer directly. With your recent experience with the company, you might be an attractive candidate, and you need to make absolutely clear to them that you are interested in the advertised position. You might possibly have the start of a case, but you have to work out a lot of details. Is the job in the nearby city a different franchise? Does one hand know what the other is doing? Have you expressly made your interest in the other position known? Is your work record good? Ordinarily laying off by seniority is a defensible practice, but it is possible that you could be a victim of age discrimination if all the pieces fit together.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/13/2011
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Contact the federal EEOC or your local State's fair employment agency to see if you can file an age discrimination complaint.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 7/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: