Do I call police to admit crime or do nothing unless I'm tracked down if I hit and run a parked car with minor damage? 13 Answers as of October 18, 2012

There was a witness, so he may have gotten my license plate. I could also go back to the neighborhood to try and locate the car owner, but I'm not sure if that is asking for more potential trouble on my behalf.

You should do what you think is best. You are going to be charged with hit and run no matter what. If you wait for the police to track you down, no one (and by no one I mean the judge) will want to hear about what a good student you are, how you run errands for your neighbor, or whatever other nonsense you will spew to get out of facing the consequences. However, because you have a hard time taking responsibility (your writing this question rather than going and facing the music), you should probably just run until you are caught.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
You should have reported the accident. In this situation do what you believe is right. Sometimes, a court may consider your cooperation. If you are tracked down, that also is taken into consideration.
If they have a license plate and come to talk with you then SAY NOTHING. They will ask you if you were driving. This will be because even though they can put your car as involved they cannot prove that YOU were the one driving. The need your admission in order to convict you. REMEMBER YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT.
Attorney at Law | Michael P. Vollandt
Do not call the police and tell them you hit an ran a car unless you had no ability to leave your information on the parked car.
Turn yourself in, it will look better.
    Just keep quiet.
    Pingelton Law Firm | Dan Pingelton
    Do not say anything to the police, and talk to a criminal defense lawyer ASAP.
    Hire a lawyer and have them contact the police. We have done this before and it has worked out ok.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    hit and run is a 12 point violation with mandatory loss of license be careful what you do - they have to prove, not only that it was your car, but that you were driving it - so do not talk to police about the facts, do not lie either, just say I want a lawyer
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    That has always been a tough question. Reporting yourself is in essence self-incrimination but, I have always opted for a proactive approach. If it is possible under the circumstances of this collision, you could tell the authorities that you "may have" come in contact with another vehicle and want to find out for certain. If you are not admitting to "knowing" that you caused damage, the police may have a more difficult time charging you with knowingly leaving the scene of a property damage accident.
    You need to exercise your right to remain silent. The moment you open your mouth the game is over for you. You also need to hire a lawyer who can speak for your behalf from this point forward. You better tread extremely carefully, any mistake you make will cost you big time.