Do girlfriends have any rights in a relationship? 1 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I am dating a man who has not lived wiith his wife for many years. However, he is still legally married. How can I protect myself? How can he provide for me if we decide to live together?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C.
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Fredric Harlan Aaron
New York does not recognize common law marriage and has extremely limited rights of unmarried couples. Before you move in with this still married man, you should get an agreement in writing with him regarding ownership of property, responsibility for debts and similar issues. In the absence of a written agreement, your rights will be very limited or non-existent. You should consult an experienced matrimonial attorney in drawing up such an agreement.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: