Do do I find immigration records? 5 Answers as of May 04, 2011

My father in law said that my husband had a visa when he was a baby so doctors could treat him in the United States. How do I find those records?

File Form G-639 to request your husband's file. With any luck, some evidence of his coming here will be in there. Good luck!
You can do a FOIA request with DHS or DOS. Go to their websites for instructions!
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Start with your husband and ask him where is his passport. Go next to his mom or dad...maybe they know where is the passport he used. Some countries do not allow passport for children. Instead the children are included in the mother's passport. Maybe his mother has the passport somewhere? Mom would otherwise have important information, such as where she applied for the visa (Consulate) and when. There is a process called FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). This is a law that says that if the Government has information about your husband, it should be released to your husband. FOIA can be slow. An attorney would know the address. Depending on the year the visa was issued, the address might vary. In addition, check with the hospital. They may have the record indicating the hospital assisted in getting him the visa, if that was the case. Good luck.
File a G-639 Freedom of Information Act request (see immigration forms at www.uscis.gov) with the appropriate agency. In this case it sound like it would be the Department of State but I would need more details.
Do a FOIA request with USCIS.