Do California protective orders protect against cyberbullying? 7 Answers as of March 17, 2011

I currently have a 3 year, 200 yard no contact stay away protective order against a man in CA. However, he continually engages in acts of cyberbullying me online via his publicly viewable account on twitter, calling me all sorts of names and making defamatory comments about me. Is this a violation of the order I was granted?

It depends on how the order reads. If you believe it is a violation of the order and want to have the person prosecuted, contact the local law enforcement agency and see what they think.
I believe that he is violating the Order, though I have not reviewed its terms and would need to do so. Usually, any attempts to contact or otherwise send communications to the protected person, even by a third party, and via electronic media, are covered.. You can file an Order to Show Cause, re:Contempt.
Would need to see a copy of the entire TRO to offer an intelligent opinion. Why don't you send a copy of the order to the local police along with a copy of the twitter and any other social network postings he's made. Perhaps the cops will have a conversation. Check with a local attorney about a defamation case and the viability of filing in your state.
If it's not communicating with you it's not bullying, it's free speech. However, you could hire an attorney to file a motion and get him into court. At least that might make him stop.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
California protective orders can indeed protect against cyber bullying. Your question about if your current order will protect you, can only be answered after reading the particular order. Ask an attorney to review the order along with samples of what is being posted.
    If you included it in your requested orders, yes. Read your RO to see the language. If it is general enough and says something like no contact of any kind, then you might be covered. Contact the police and request criminal charges for RO violation AND threats, a crime in itself. If they tell you that you must seek modification of the order, then do so. If you need legal help, feel free to contact me.