Do auto parts stores have any liability for faulty parts that they sell? 1 Answers as of January 27, 2011

My daughters car had a minor leak in the coolant reservoir. I bought a new reservoir from an auto parts store in North Carolina, and installed it. The next day my daughter calls and says her car stalled on the highway and won't restart. I had it towed to a mechanic, who informed me that the engine was blown. He said that the after-market reservoir was defective. The screw-on cap did not fit well, and when the system pressurized, the cap blew off, allowing the coolant to escape. Do we have any recourse at all?

If this mechanic is correct and the item was defective, and if you can prove it in court , you can sue the manufacturer and the retailer. It may cost you more to handle it than it is worth. Have you talked to the retailer? What does he say?