Do lawyers check their emails and respond to their clients on weekends? 102 Answers as of April 22, 2014

Some of us do.
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
Conscientious ones do.
That is up to the lawyer.
Sometimes I do. I work some weekends because I can get quite a bit done without interruptions. For that reason I hardly ever see someone on the weekend. I consider it "my time" to get paper work done. It is a personal matter for every attorney. We all need a break sometimes, and no one wants to be on call 24/7.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
That is an attorney by attorney question and it also depends on each client. Do you return all work related calls on the weekends?
    Law Office of Robert M. White, PLLC
    Law Office of Robert M. White, PLLC | Robert M. White
    An attorney in most states, including North Carolina, is required to consult reasonably with his or her client. This duty requires the attorney to keep the client informed about the status of a matter, respond to client's requests for information, and provide updates with respect to decisions that have been made with respect to a client's informed consent. In general, communication with clients on the weekend is within the discretion of the attorney. Depending on the urgency, communication with a client on the weekend may be reasonable. However, in most instances, this is not the case.
    Me, I do.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    Some do, some don't.
    Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
    I cannot speak for others, but I try not to. I have to have a personal life at some point.
    Some do and some don't. It's up to the individual attorney.
    Eranthe Law Firm
    Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
    Depends on the lawyer. I think most don't respond unless it is urgent and many take the weekend off and wouldn't be checking email at all. Some have weekend hours and those would likely check emails also.
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    Depends on your lawyer.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Most lawyers regularly check their e-mails, even on weekends. However, many of us try to take at least one day off a week, which means that we may not immediately respond to clients. Furthermore, sometimes lawyers, like all people, travel to locations where there is no internet access. For example, if a lawyer spends a day with his family at the beach, he may not have access to his e-mails for a long time. Lawyers, doctors and other professionals are entitled to take some time off, and that means that they may not respond to communications from clients during weekends. Of course, if there is a client emergency, a lawyer may have an ethical obligation to respond immediately.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    Not usually.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Some do, some don't. You might want to ask that question directly to the lawyer you are interested in knowing the answer from.
    Law Office of Kirk Buhler
    Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
    It depends on the lawyer, their law firm and the email server. Unless there is an emergency that requires immediate attention, a lawyer may not respond on a weekend, holiday or vacation. While a lawyer may check email on the weekend, they may not have the client files to properly respond and may delay responding until they can provide an accurate answer.
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    Not usually they get time off from the office also.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    It depends upon the lawyer.. they are under no obligation to do so.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Some do, but most don't.
    Unless a specific arrangements are made with a particular attorney, this is typically not the case. Attorneys rely upon working collaboratively with their staff observing her client. It Typically Takes Place Monday through Friday.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Every lawyer is different. Do you work on weekends? The more aggressive ones do, but others respect their family time.
    Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
    At least this one does. As with most people, we would like to stay at somewhere near "normal" work hours but if an emergency arises or if I work it out with my client in advance, I am willing to communicate on the weekends. That really varies by the situation.
    Some do, some don't.
    Most probably don't. most professional people don't keep office hours on weekends. I do but I am likely the exception.
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    Some do, some don't, it depends on the attorney, the case status, however, you are often billed hourly for weekend service.
    It depends on the nature of the attorney's practice as well as the level of service that the clients are willing to pay for.
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
    Some do and some don't. You'll need to ask each lawyer when you first meet with them.
    It depends on the attorney. I have met several that DO NOT communicate at all via email for a variety of reasons. I feel it is very useful to use email myself, but I don't typically work weekends and probably would not answer business email on the weekend.
    Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
    It depends on your lawyer and the agreement between you. Many lawyers work on weekends.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    Generally speaking they do, however, there is no rule or requirement about that. A lawyer is required to communicate with his or her client and if they don't they are at risk of state bar complaints. However, many lawyers turn their email and cell phones off on the weekend to have at least some time for their families and friends. If your lawyer told you he or she would respond on the weekends, talk to them about it. If not, try to communicate on a weekday during business hours.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    I do.
    The Law Offices of Tres A. Porter | Tres A. Porter
    That varies greatly from lawyer to lawyer and the lawyer's practice. Most do not. I do from time to time, but it is not very common.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    Some never do; some do sometimes; some don't.
    Lawyer for Independent Media
    Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
    Some lawyers may check their emails and respond on weekends, and some may not. It depends on what the matter is, if the person writing the email is an ongoing client, the practices of the lawyer, and whether the lawyer thinks the matter requires immediate attention. Lawyers are required by ethics to communicate as needed with their clients, but not with other people. This can mean many things. If the person emailing is not a client of the lawyer, the lawyer need not respond at all. If you have a lawyer who charges by their time spent, they will charge you to read and respond to your emails, so you better be sure what you are writing is crucial. Lawyers who are technically adept will often reply sooner to emails, and they may be responding while traveling, while in a meeting, or in a court hallway. If you pester your lawyer with emails about details because you are anxious, the lawyer might suggest that you go to counseling to help you deal with the emotional aspects of your legal issue. This is often the case with divorce. The personal preferences and practices of the lawyer, or of their company or firm if they work for one, play a big role in how the lawyer communicates. If a lawyer works for a government agency or corporation, they often communicate only during official business hours. Lawyers who work on their own might respond to emails any day at any time of the day or night, if they feel like the email warrants a response. If you send your lawyer inappropriate emails of any sort, the lawyer might delay in responding, or might not respond at all, if no response is needed for the actual legal work. Inappropriate emails might include anything with sexual content, trying to engage the lawyer in a dating type relationship, threats, abuse, disrespect, niggling about details, emails that show you have not carefully read a previous reply, and such.
    It depends on the lawyer and the way they operate. Check with the particular lawyer.
    The good ones do. Some do not respond on weekends.
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    I most certainly do.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Some do, and some don't, just like everyone else.
    Sometimes. Depends upon the lawyer and it depends upon the circumstances. It I have retained a client and the facts of the case necessitate that we communicate during the weekend, ,then I make myself available. At the time of representation, I have defined the parameters of that representation at the beginning. However, if a client suddenly wants to talk to me, and sends me an e-mail, I may or may not see it. As a attorney, I still need time for myself and my family.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Some do and some don't. At the Lombardi Law Firm we do although we are not per se "on-call".
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    I cannot speak for all lawyers, but most do. Whether you can depend on someone to do this, is completely different. Like everyone else, lawyers have lives and other obligations. Even during the week, this sometimes takes precedence over responding to clients.
    Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
    Most attorneys do not want to do this because they then forget to invoice the client for their time. Also, attorneys do not want to be "on the clock" seven days of week. The client should also ask if the matter cannot wait until Monday.
    Some do, some don't. It depends on the lawyer and the nature of what types of cases they handle.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    Depends on the lawyer.
    Law Office of Mark B. French
    Law Office of Mark B. French | Mark B. French
    I generally check emails once or twice on weekends. It is my practice not to respond to Clients on the weekends, unless the Client has requested that level of access and paid the additional fees to obtain it.
    Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
    It would depend on the individual attorney. It has been my practice to use weekends for uninterrupted work, no phone calls or e-mails; that is when I work weekends.
    Answer Applies to: New Mexico
    The Law Office of David L. Leon
    The Law Office of David L. Leon | David L. Leon
    Some do, some don't. Depends on the lawyer, whether the lawyer's office is open on weekends, and whether or not the lawyer is working on that weekend.
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    I assume it depends on the individual attorney.
    Heineman Law Office
    Heineman Law Office | Jeff Heineman
    Not always.
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin | Eric W. I. Anglin
    That really depends on the attorney and/or firm as to their practices.
    Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
    I do.
    Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
    Many do and some do not. Litigators tend to look most often at their e-mails. Likewise - the age of the lawyer often impacts the activity level on weekends. BTW - I do.
    Glenn Milgraum PC
    Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
    Many do, but not all as they too are entitled to days off. What does your retainer say about it, if anything? Having handled many cases in the realm of "Family Law" and/or "Domestic Relations", I personally make it a habit to check my e-mail, at least once a day. However, I am very reluctant to handle "business" that is not of an "emergency nature" on the weekends, as client's start to take advantage of the courtesy extended and treat the weekend as an ordinary business day. If you are mindful of the attorney's time, your attorney will probably be more responsive to your needs.