Difference between immigrant and non-immigrant visa? 5 Answers as of September 16, 2010

I am trying to get my husband into the country from Portugal in the easiest possible way. What is the difference between an immigrant and non-immigrant visa?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I understand you are wish to get your husband here as quickly as possible, but quick can also turn into disastrous with the complex immigration laws we have. The quick way to bring your husband is with a tourist B-1/B-2 visa for short business or pleasure. However, the fact that he is your husband will be taken by the Border and Customs people as an indication that he is wanting to come into the country permanently, and he will likely be turned away at the port of entry. A better route is an application for a K-3 visa, which is first done with an I-130 petition for alien relative that you would file with USCIS, and then after 1-3 months it would be approved, and then sent to the appropriate U.S. embassy in Portugal, where your husband would apply for the K-3 visa, which would also take about 2-4 months to process. Then your husband can come into the country. He cannot come into the country to adjust status, for he has not been admitted, unless he is granted what is called Advance Parole, which you apply for him. If you want to discuss further help, by all means call or e-mail me. I would be glad to be of assistance.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/14/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
Nonimmigrant visa is a temporary visa, such as a work visa. An immigrant visa is for permanent residence (green card) and can be done through employment or family-based (marriage-based, included) petitions. If you are already married and you are a US citizen, it would make sense to petition for your husband through an immigrant visa. Please feel free to email me with additional details about your situation.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/13/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
If your husband applies for an immigrant visa, it means he intends to immigrate to the United States. Immigrate to the US means coming here to live permanently.

Nonimmigrant visas are for people who are coming to the US for a short time only, for purpose of tourism, student, work, etc.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/13/2010
Click to View More Answers: