Difference between chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcy? 6 Answers as of November 04, 2010

Hello. I am looking into bankruptcy as an option for myself, and I do not understand the difference between chapter 7 and chapter 13. Can someone explain it to me? Thanks.

Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
It is best to contact a bankruptcy lawyer for a free consultation. Depending upon your personal financial situation and goals, one or the other may be right for you. You need to qualify to file under chapter 7 and must pass what is called the Means Test for household size and income. So, the answer for you is, "it depends."
That is a very broad question. Chapter 7 is a straight liquidation of non-exempt assets. Chapter 13 is a repayment plan for individuals with debts below a certain amount. There are pros and cons for each and you need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney about which, if either, is best for you.
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
The difference between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13, is that with a 7 you are looking to discharge your debts completely, while a 13 involves a repayment plan. Your income, assets, and debts will determine which Chapter fits your situation.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.
It all depends upon your assets and income. If you own a house a ch 13 maybe better for you. You really should sit down with an attorney to discuss your options.
The Shakoori Law Group
The Shakoori Law Group | Rachelle Shakoori
Chapter 13 is for people who do not qualify for chapter 7 (ex too high of an income) or are behind on secured debt like your mortgage. Chapter 13 is a payment plan whereas 7 assuming you qualify discharges most unsecured debts (like credit cards, medical bills, etc)

Contact me and I will be happy to discuss in more detail.