Did I legally stay in the country too long, can an immigration lawyer help? 7 Answers as of December 16, 2010

Hello I have been in the US since May 2010. the time on my I-94 is til December 13 and I am still in the US. Do you think I stayed in the country too long and will not be able to reenter if I leave? Many people are telling me that I stayed here for too long already and will not be admissible back here. They said I should have stayed at least 3 or 4 months.

At the time of your question, November 19th, you had not stayed too long. And even though you would be out of status after December 13th, you would have up to 6 months after the expiration on your I-94 to leave the USA without incurring a three-year bar to ever reapply for any immigration benefit. If you have any plans concerning obtaining any future immigration benefit, do not hesitate to call or e-mail to set up a phone or in-person consultation.
If your I-94 is still valid, then you have permission to remain in the US until the expiration date on the I-94. Of course, you will not be able to return to the US right away if you depart on 12/13 because you've stayed a while and if you plan to return as a visitor, it will look odd that you have been "vacationing" in the US for 6 months only to want to return again, but if you depart and stay in your country for at least 4-5 months, you can return to the US again.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Hi,

Your legal stay is determined by the I-94 form. So you have not overstayed your visa. You are more than welcome to consult me with any other immigration question.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
That is not true. As long as you did not overstay the period that was given to you by immigration you should be ok. What I would recommend is that you don't try to reenter the United States in the near future because then that could give you problems if the inspecting officer thinks you are staying inside the United States too much time.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No you did not stay too long. As long as you leave before December 13, 2010 you will be fine.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    I am assuming you came as a tourist, with a B2/ B-1 visa. Usually, most immigration officer will give you 6 months, which is plenty of time to be a tourist. IF you stay for a long time, then leave and return very soon, the official will wonder...What is it that you did not have time to see or do during the previous trip. If you want to work, you might need a different type of visa.