Is there a way I can get child support and supervised visitation over my ex fiance? 6 Answers as of June 20, 2013

My ex fiance (lives in Atlanta, I live in Georgia) and I have a daughter that is 3 months old. She has spent half of her life in a hospital due to a heart defect. He never once came to the hospital to see her and has no involvment with her at all. He refuses to help support her financially. She currently gets SSI for her disability. We were engaged up until mid December. Supposedly he had gotten a divorce, but I am finding out now that he is probably still married. He is making me take him to court to get any type of support. He has even threatened to use his grandpa's money to take our daughter from me. Our daughter is medically fragile. I cannot work and she'll have heart surgery soon. I want him to pay child support and 1/2 of all medical expenses not covered by insurance. I don't trust him with her because of a false allegation he made against a family member of his. Any chance I can get him to have supervised visitation if he seeks to legitimize? And how does child support work if I don't/can't work right now and our daughter gets disability? I quit my previous job (stupid me) when we were engaged and I became pregnant as he said/promised to take care of us. Any advice? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
You can bring a paternity suit against him in the county he lives in, and include a claim for child support. Talk to an experience family law attorney as soon as you are able.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/22/2012
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
It sounds that you are dealing with a lot.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/20/2013
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
You can get child support; it is based on several financial figures that are included in a spreadsheet which then figures a bottom line amount for child support. If you don't work the court might recognize your income as zero for the child support worksheet or might impute a minimum wage or another amount based on your past education and work experience; the fact of your daughter's health might also come into play. As far as supervised visitation, that would be up to the judge depending on the facts you present. These are very complicated issues and you should seek the advice of an experienced family law attorney. As far as child support goes, you can opt to have the State represent you, but the downside of that is that it takes longer and you have no input into the case.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/21/2012
Speaker Law Firm
Speaker Law Firm | Theodore Speaker
No problem, If he is the Childs father.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/21/2012
First, assuming this is a Georgia matter, until he legitimates himself, He has no rights of custody or visitation. However, that has nothing to do with his obligation to pay child support. I hope you have already filed with the state child Support agency.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/21/2012
Click to View More Answers: