Could we get my sister out of jail after being arrested for not paying child support? 2 Answers as of August 06, 2015

My sister was arrested for not paying child support. The judge gave her 45 days in jail. I was wondering if getting her a lawyer would get her out sooner.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Most likely, a purge amount was set to get your sister released; once that is paid, she should be released; however, she should do everything possible to obtain employment to avoid this in the future. Did she have a hearing on the contempt? Did she present proof of her lack of income? Did she also present proof of her doing everything in her power to obtain employment and income?
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/6/2015
John Russo | John Russo
Sure along with the dollar amount ordered to purge her contempt.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 8/6/2015
Click to View More Answers: