Could there be a lawsuit if wife passed away from using fentanyl under doctors orders? 7 Answers as of August 12, 2015

Could there be a lawsuit if wife passed away from using fentanyl under doctors orders? The doctor prescribed my wife with the medication and she took the correct dosage of fentanyl.

There is a possibility of a suit if you can show the manufacturer did something wrong. Good luck.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
How do you know the fentanyl caused her death? You need a doctor to sign an affidavit that it did.
Maybe. There are many, many factors to consider, too many to contemplate here. Try to find a law firm that has brought claims concerning this specific medication.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
Yes, there are reported deaths from this medication, and there may well be liability. The matter should be fully discussed, to ascertain all facts and ability to pursue.
Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC
Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC | Linda Chalat
My sincere sympathy on the loss of your wife. We caution all potential clients that medical malpractice claims are very difficult to win - few settle and those that are tried are won by the doctor 9 out of 10 times. Those cases which have the best chance for a good outcome for the plaintiff are those where a clear act of negligence, or omission of appropriate care, are apparent in the medical record. Inappropriate fentanyl use, either from too high a dosage, interaction with other medications or the patient's condition contraindicates the prescription, may be a basis for a medical malpractice claim.
    Not in Michigan.
    The mere fact of her taking fentanyl and then dying does not of itself create a cause of action against the doc or anyone else. The key question is whether the doctor's prescribing the drug was a direct, proximate, natural and foreseeable CAUSE of her death. This seems unlikely if she was taking the prescribed dosage and no more. To bring a case to court, you would need an expert's opinion, which would involve his or her reading her whole chart and reaching a professional opinion that the fentanyl was the cause. This can cost several thousand dollars. So I think you need to do a lot of looking at medical charts and reading treatises before you can proceed Also be sure to consult a med-mal or personal injury lawyer in your area to help evaluate the case. I am very sorry for your loss.