Could my work cut my hours and give them to volunteers? 2 Answers as of June 29, 2015

I believe that my work is doing something illegal. They are cutting my hours at work, however, they are not cutting them due to lack of work. They are cutting them to try to get volunteers to work the hours instead of having to pay employees. I am wondering if it is against the law to do that. From my understanding for-profit companies (like mine) shouldn't even have volunteers, only non-profit companies should. I also heard that it is against the law to have a volunteer do a paid employee job. I am trying to find something that says that so I can take it to human resources and let them know that I know they are screwing us. Let me know if any of that makes sense.

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
I know of no reason why the employer may not do this. As far as I know, this is all legal. I know of no law that restricts the use of interns, nor any law that limits them to just non-profits. Many law firms use interns, so do accounting firms. They are usually for-profit companies IRS may have regulations on the payroll tax issue, but I do not know, and that is between them and IRS, and not an issued you may raise. Perhaps you need to find another job?
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
An attorney would need complete information in order to adequately respond to your concerns.