Could my employer withhold my pay check after firing me? 5 Answers as of August 18, 2015

I was fired under an accusation and my boss withheld my pay check. Also I was granted unemployment and a few months later they appealed it and the appeal went through and now I have to go to court. And I think they ran a credit and background check on me before hiring me without me knowing it. Do I have a means to do anything legally? I feel like I need some sort of justice but don't know if I have a valid case.

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
RE: now I have to go to court. You should contact an attorney do not go to court on your own.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
The Federal law requires that you be paid for all hours worked. If they did not pay you then you could file a complaint with the US DOL Wage and Hour Division. They are normally at your nearest Federal Building. Otherwise, they can do pre-employment backgrounds.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Contact local department of labor. An employer cannot in most cases withhold the check.
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry | Charles R. Perry
A California employee must be paid all wages on the last day of work if the employee is terminated. Holdbacks based on accusations are improper, and can subject the employer to penalties. The employee's remedy is either in court or before the California labor commissioner. There is no separate claim based on your employer challenging your unemployment claim. You should contact an attorney experienced in employee-side labor law for further assistance, especially if you need help pursuing a claim for unpaid wages and penalties.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
It depends on the facts of your situation.