Could my canceled k1 visa be a problem in the future regarding my travels and J1 visa opportunity? 3 Answers as of April 21, 2011

I just canceled a K1 visa. I'm French and I'd like to travel to the US in June and August under the waiver program. I also would like to request a J1 visa in about a year. Could my canceled k1 visa be a problem in the future regarding my travels and J1 visa opportunity?

As a French citizen, you can always come to the US on the Visa Waiver Program for 3 months at a time. I cannot foresee any issues with you getting a visa in any category. The fact that you cancelled a K-1 visa (I suppose you did not want to marry your fianc(e) at the time) does not weigh negatively on your next visa. No worries.
I would say that it might. A canceled k-1 may be indicative of a withdrawn intent to obtain a visa out of fraud. However, if the marriage was a mistake, it's good to cancel before it happened, along with the visa application. As long as the trip to the States does not involve the same person as in the K-1, just show proof of that, along with the itinerary, and that should work. The J-1 is specifically for an employer, and will require qualifications totally different in scope. Answer the application form accurately, and include a complete statement on an attached document on the reasons for the K-1 cancellation, and that should take care of you.
That depends why your K1 was canceled. If for fraud or an immigration violation,then yes. Since it also shows immigrant intent, you will need to demonstrate very strong ties to your home country to overcome that presumption- lease, proof of long term employment, offer of future employment, etc.