Could I use images from websites without a copyright? 3 Answers as of September 09, 2015

I am a citizen of Sri Lanka currently living in Sri Lanka. I am about to start my small online magazine. Is it ok if I can use the pictures on the internet for reviews (product or service)? Is there any international Law that moderates the usage of internet? Are the copyrights registered in the respective country implying only to its state? Or does it imply globally?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Short answer no. Use of any trademarked or copyright images must be approved by the owner before hand. In the U.S. there is a "fair use" exemption for news, educational institutions, and research.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 9/9/2015
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
Generally this is not a good idea. If you take your own picture in a public place you are usually fine. Whenever you are using pictures, text or information that you did not create then it could cause a problem. Each country is different and the laws governing the intellectual property inside and outside of a country can be different. Take your own pictures (in public places), write your own text. This will minimize your trouble from others since you can prove that you created the artistic expression.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/9/2015
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
Copyright laws vary from country to country - and there is no single "world-wide" copyright system. Instead, most countries are members of the Berne Convention - which requires its member countries to recognize the copyright of works of authors from other signatory countries in the same way as it recognizes the copyright of its own nationals. Sri Lanka is a member country - and accordingly the laws of that country will apply for copying that you may do. Check with a local attorney to see if your plans qualify as "fair use" or if permission/compensation will be required for your intended use. GOOD LUCK!
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 9/9/2015
Click to View More Answers: