Could I sue someone for potential loss of income if he decides he no longer wants to continue our working arrangement? 2 Answers as of September 08, 2015

I've been working in a band with a singer who has decided he no longer wants to continue, and has started another project. I am the guitar player and I have also been acting as manager. There is the potential for myself and the other band members to earn a respectable amount of money this year through performing and eventually recording and releasing our original music. The singer's reason for leaving is not legitimate, and we cannot continue our project without him, therefore we will lose the anticipated income. I have already invested my own money, time, and effort into the venture, with no pay so far. A verbal understanding was made that I would receive regular compensation for performing, along with the other band members, and that I would also receive an additional 15% compensation for acting as manager. This was understood to begin in June when our band started earning a profit, but now we cannot continue because the singer has left. Can myself and the remaining band members file a claim against him for loss of potential income, and can I file an additional claim to recoup any of the money I have spent to get the band off the ground so far.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
The problem you have is that you don'y have any written contracts. Since you gave not been making a profit over time, you have nothing to show what your earning potential is. The singer will likely deny there is a contract. It is your word against the singer. It would be difficult to prove your claim.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 9/8/2015
It sounds like he was free to quit at any time. Which is what happened. I know of no legal remedy available to you. You should consult with some one that handles contract cases. This is not an employment law question.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/7/2015
Click to View More Answers: