Could I sue a school for wrongful marketing of their degree? 7 Answers as of September 15, 2015

I already had a Bachelors, and I decided to apply for another degree at an Institute. When applying, they said because I already had a 4 year degree, I would be enrolled into their Professional Designation program. Thinking it was a higher degree, I later was informed that it was an AA right before I graduated, and that "professional designation degree" is illegal to put on a resume. If I would have known it was an AA, I never would have enrolled. I would have gone to a community college which is less expensive. Can I sue them for wrongful marketing or whatever the right term is?

I am not sure you have much of a case. You should have found out what type of degree it was before you signed up. ?Also, you should have known that you would not get a higher degree unless it was somehow related to what you got your B.A. in. They will argue that it was clear the course work would not merit anything higher than an AA. You could sue in Small Claims Court as it costs very little to do so, but you have a weak case.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
From the facts you state, it seems that you attended one of these for-profit business or technical schools. These usually award nothing higher than an AA degree. Often they are publicly owned and traded and, consequently, under a lot of pressure to produce a profit and the main way to that is to fill the classes with students, many of whom would be unqualified for the few positions that might exist in the market place. They also tend to overcharge the students in tuition and make false representations to both students and shareholders about the success rates they have in successfully placing students. Students in your situation often file individual actions against the schools based on fraudulent representations and breach of contract. In your situation you could also contact the U.S. Department of Education and the Federal Consumer Protection Agency, created as part of the Dodd-Frank Act. You might also speak with someone at the Securities-Exchange Commisssion (S.E.C) because they might have an ongoing investigation against the school if it involves misrepresentation to shareholders about how great the school is doing. Finally, you might also lodge a complaint with Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Huh? You are paying and working for degrees, and have no idea what you are earning? Make sure you sue, so the jury can laugh at you.
It's possible to sue the school for fraud or even breach of contract. Consult an experienced fraud lawyer.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
No personal injury case.