Could I still get a job if I file for bankruptcy? 12 Answers as of April 22, 2015

Will filing for bankruptcy hurt my chances for getting a job in the future? My finances are hurting but I'm worried about the long term cost-benefits. The job market is already terrible enough.

Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
It depends on the employer and the type of position. It could be used against you and so could being in debt. Sometimes it helps. I've filed bankruptcies that were required for employment. For example a stock broker who had to clear FINRA charges or they couldn't qualify for employment. An Air Marshall who would be subject to undue financial influence without getting rid of their debt in a bankruptcy case.
It is illegal to discriminate against you in employment because you filed bankruptcy. Sophisticated companies don't ask about bankruptcy to avoid the suspicion of discrimination.
It should not cause a problem getting a job. Your chances improve with cleaning up your credit problems.
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
Filing a bankruptcy case should not have any effect upon your ability to find a job. In fact, if you have a poor credit score and do not take care of your debts in some way it might be much harder for you to find work than if you file for bankruptcy and then begin to rebuild your credit.
It depends on the job you apply for. Most employers don't do that sort of background check. But what would you rather show up on your credit report. A BK filing, or late pays, judgments, garnishments, etc..
    Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
    Yes. Typically filing for bankruptcy does not hurt your job prospects. It is rare that employers will know of your filing unless you have to do a credit check. Even then, your credit will be clear of debt for the most part which may assist. If they are just going off your credit score, that may be different though.
    Most people that file bankruptcy have jobs, so having a job won?t prevent you from filling bankruptcy. Although many people worry that bankruptcy will prevent them from obtaining a job, I find that clients who haven?t worked for years end up getting hired right after their case is filed in bankruptcy court. Many employers do understand about the financial hardship that comes from unemployment ? would you really want to work for a company that judged you harshly for not having work?
    Most employers are not hung up on bankruptcy but it is up to the particular employer
    It depends on the job you are seeking, some employers and positions will not hire a previously bankrupt. Either way, seek counsel BEFORE you act.
    The Bankruptcy Code contains a strong prohibition against job discrimination aimed at people who file bankruptcy. (11 U.S.C. sec. 525) It is against the law to refuse to hire you, or to deny you promotion or benefits, if the sole reason for doing so is that you have filed bankruptcy or discharged a particular debt. My experience is that such discrimination is a very rare thing but I could not guaranty that it would not happen in a particular case. If an employer does any kind of credit check, he, she, or it would discover the bankruptcy. But you do have some protection. Good Luck.
    You can get a job, although it may affect your ability to get a high security clearance.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    When you file a petition for bankruptcy, either under Chapter 7, 11 or 13, the only persons who receive notice of the filing are your creditors. That said, it is a matter of public record so if a prospective employer finds out you filed it can get a copy of the petition from the Court's website. Sadly, many employers consider a person's creditworthiness as a factor in hiring or promotion, so keep that in mind as you decide what to do. Please make sure you speak with a qualified bankruptcy lawyer and ask lots of questions. You can receive referrals from your local bar association or from the Court's pro bono program. Good luck!