Could I still be licensed in one state after losing it in another? 8 Answers as of January 02, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
No. States share information with each other, so if your license was suspended in 1 state, it's not likely that the other state will give you a license.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 1/2/2014
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
It depends on whether the second state is a member of the Interstate Compact on Driver Licensing.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/2/2014
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Not if the new State finds out.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/2/2014
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
Probably not. The other state will know that your license is suspended or revoked and should deny you one in their state.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/2/2014
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
If you have a license in one state then you can move to another and get a new license in the new state. If your license is suspended or revoked it depends on the state you are moving to, some do not belong to the interstate compact, some do not require that you sign a sworn declaration that you have either never been licensed or that your driving privilege is not revoked in your former home state.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/2/2014
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    It may be possible. However, with the states sharing information and changes within their laws as to recognizing such towards suspension its less likely to happen.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 1/2/2014
    Penglase & Benson, Inc.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc. | John Benson
    You could but probably will not. Each state will likely run you through a data base. Most will not issue a license while you are suspended in another state. Even if you could get a license you must be careful not to drive in the state you are suspended in while you are under suspension. Most states have laws that will punish you for such action.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 1/2/2014
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    Most states are part of what is known as the "Interstate Compact" meaning, any violation in one state is also forwarded to your home state and you will be suspended or revoked etc until you clear any problems in the other states. The only possible option which will depend on the state you wish to get the license in is if you ask to "terminate or give back" your current license to the prior state where you had that license. Then they (your current state) would have to decide if they would be willing to allow you to apply for a new license.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 1/2/2014
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!