Could I have a good personal injury case because of a dog accident? 24 Answers as of June 02, 2015

My neighbors boxer wrapped its leash around me and took off and the plastic part of the leash shattered my leg into 6 pieces. I had to get a CT scan. I have permanent numbness in my leg because of this injury. I never considered it, but is there something I could do? She is my neighbor and I have not really considered it to this point, but this is sop permanent. Thank you.

Utah Injury Lawyer
Utah Injury Lawyer | Will Rodgers
Yes, it sounds like you have a good dog bite case. For your own benefit, immediately contact an injury lawyer to evaluate your case and if taken, represent you in the case without any money coming from you. The reality is car insurance companies jerk people around who are not injury lawyers. As injury lawyers, we represent our clients and help them get their healthcare bills paid and get the best financial compensation they can get on their case.
Yes, but pray that she has homeowner's insurance that includes liability coverage, as most lawyers are reluctant to take a case unless there is insurance.
Yes, you have a good personal injury case. While you would be suing your neighbor, her home owner's insurance may cover the judgment. Talk to a personal injury attorney. Most offer free initial consultation.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
Yes, an accident involving a dog can result in a good personal injury claim. Good examples from cases I have actually handled are dog bite injuries and cases where owners let their dogs roam free and cause auto accidents.
First things first: Consult an experienced personal injury lawyer. If the dog's owner was careless in controlling the dog, and if your own carelessness (if ay) was not more than half the total negligence, then you may very well have a good p.i. cause of action. In Wisconsin the statute of limitations within which you must start a lawsuit is three year from the time of the incident. Good Luck.
    Ankerholz and Smith
    Ankerholz and Smith | Rian F. Ankerholz
    Several factors, including your own actions, may affect the viability of the claim. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area. Do not delay, as time limitations apply.
    Possibly. It depends on what YOU were doing that allowed yourself to get wrapped up in the leash.
    Yes, a dog owner is statutorily liable for any injuries the owner's dog causes....go see a good personal injury lawyer right away.
    Yes you would.
    Law Offices of Carl L. Brown | Carl L. Brown
    You may have a good case. However, further specific facts are necessary for evaluation. You should contact a an experienced personal injury attorney for a consultation. Often, there is no charge for an initial consult.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    In any personal injury claim you need to prove negligence, that the negligence caused injury and the extent of the injury/damage. You should explore the specific facts of the incident with a local pi attorney to determine whether there was any actionable negligence on the part of your neighbor.
    Yes. Call several lawyers in your area, meet with them and then decide which one you are most comfortable with.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    I would pursue a claim if within 2 years of the incident.
    Yes. You may have a personal injury case. Talk to an attorney.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Michigan has a strict liability dog bite statute. While your injury isn't from a bite, it is from a dog; and, since the statute doesn't require owner notice of tendency to bite, what's the difference what aspect of the dog caused the injury owning a dog is inherently risky to others, so it seems that the strict liability of the bite statute should apply to any injury caused by a dog. Absent the strict liability statute, negligence would have to be shown. This would have to be discussed, to see if a theory of negligence could be ascertained. Your injury is certainly serious enough. And, your neighbor's homeowners insurance may apply, to avoid the awkward circumstance of taking money from your neighbor. I think it's worth pursuing.
    Depending on the circumstances yes. Confer with an attorney, there are time limits to make a claim.
    Yes, you may have a very good case, depending upon the exact facts. In California you have to sue within two years of the incident.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Injuries caused by a dog are strict liability in Connecticut. You absolutely have a claim. If your neighbor has homeowners insurance they will cover defending and paying the claim. Based on your description your claim can be quite large but you should have an attorney build and present your best case. If you are in Connecticut feel free to call me for a free consultation.
    It is difficult to tell if there is any liability on behalf of the homeowner from the limited facts you have laid out. Consider consulting an experienced injury lawyer. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    I would need to know more facts. If your neighbor's negligent action caused your injuries, then you could sue the neighbor.
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    Where was the accident on your property or hers? Does your neighbor own her home? Do you own a home? You can file a personal injury claim with the homeowner insurance policy.
    Andrew G. Rosenberg, P.A. | Andrew G. Rosenberg, Esq.
    Yes there is a possibility for a lawsuit. You should seek counsel.
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    You will need to prove negligence of the neighbor and more facts are needed since this is not a dog bite incident. If the incident occurred due to neighbor's lack of supervision of the dog she may be liable. You will need to make a personal injury claim against her Homeowner's policy and preferably through a lawyer so that you can achieve the best results. Good Luck
    Jules D'Alessandro | Jules D'Alessandro
    Yes you may have a great case against your neighbors homeowners insurance for policy. Cases such as this are complicated so you will need the assistance of an experienced personal injury trial attorney, feel free to call me.