Could I go to jail if I cannot pay a judgment? 14 Answers as of August 25, 2015

I am in debt settlement and am being sued. If I cannot pay the judgment, can I go to jail? I have little or no money and could not come close to paying the judgment, if the debt settlement people cannot negotiate a settlement. What happens?

No. We have not had Debtors' prisons for a couple of hundred years.
File for bankruptcy. Why are you screwing around with a debt settlement company???? ,(and no you can't go to jail for not paying a judgement).
Freeman Law Group, LLC
Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
Debtors' prisons are a thing of the past. You won't go to prison for not paying a debt. What happens once a creditor gets a judgment is they can start garnishing wages, levying bank accounts, and possibly place a lien on your house. But a creditor cannot put you in prison.
No, as long as you follow court orders, you will not go to jail for non-payment.
You can not go to jail for not paying a credit card.
    That would be a no.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    No the most is they can ask you to pay money.
    CARL C SILVER ATTORNEY AT LAW
    CARL C SILVER ATTORNEY AT LAW | Carl C Silver
    The only way to go to jail for a debt is by failing to appear in response to a subpoena for a discovery exam after the judgment is entered.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    This is a common threat made by unscrupulous debt collectors, but it is not true. A judgment gives the creditor 10 years to try to collect from you in any way they can, such as attaching assets or garnishing your wages or your bank account. The grain of truth in this threat is that the creditor can send you a subpoena to appear for a debtor's exam where they interrogate you about your assets and income. If you fail to appear, then a warrant for your arrest may be issued simply to compel your appearance at the hearing. If it's a large enough judgment, it may be worthwhile to file bankruptcy so that they can't continue collection activities against you.
    Sure, you can go to debtor's prison together with your whole family where you all will have to work off your debts at a few pennies a day. Oh wait, that was Dickens. America doesn't have debtor's prison (which is why Donald Trump is a free man after his four bankruptcies). They can garnish your wages, seize your bank account or other assets. Bankruptcy can stop the lawsuit.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    No. We do not have debtors prison. If you are ordered to appear and answer questions about your assets and income, you must comply, and can be arrested for disregarding an order. But you cannot be jailed for not being able to pay.
    Generally you will be subject to various collection activities, but those do not include generally being jailed. One of your other options may be a bankruptcy. Lastly, most creditors are quite aware that if you cannot collect it is not worth their time to spend additional monies and therefore, some form of resolution can be reached or payment program agreed to. An attorney would most probably be helpful post was just you in understanding your rights and potential problems, and, hopefully, to resolve them altogether.
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
    Connecticut judge will not send you to jail for not paying your debt. I think you're bigger issue is the debt settlement company. If they aren't offending you in the lawsuit you are wasting your money. Find a lawyer.
    Not unless the judgment is for child support or a criminal restitution. America outlawed debtors prison after we fought the British and won.