Could I get unemployment insurance? 5 Answers as of September 10, 2015

So I was fired from my company for returning merchandise that was non-returnable however I was never taught anything about returns or return policy, nor did I ever sign anything acknowledging that. I was terminated and the state said that it was their business decision, however there was no clear policy stated previously and benefits were allowed. Now they are disputing the benefits and I might have to pay back 2 months of unemployment?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Behren Law Firm
Behren Law Firm | Scott Behren
YOu can appeal that decision and I handle these appeals on a regular basis.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 9/10/2015
If you are in GA, call me or another attorney. You should win your hearing, but you will not win without an attorney fighting for you. Do not do this alone. Fees for a hearing are only $300. That is less than one weeks benefits, for most cases.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/9/2015
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
If you were terminated because you stole from the Company, then that is a ground to deny unemployment. I suggest you appeal the decision and before a hearing officer and tell your story.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 9/9/2015
Law Office of Nathan Wagner
Law Office of Nathan Wagner | Nathan J. Wagner
This does sound like a legitimate business decision by the company. However, in California, you would probably still be eligible for unemployment benefits. To deny you benefits, the company would have to show that you engaged in misconduct, meaning that you willfully disregarded your duty as an employee in a way that injured the company's interests. They would have to show that you deliberately chose not to follow the returns policy.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/9/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Obviously, you have received unemployment insurance and are now worried about whether or not you will have to return it if your claim is disallowed. I would at least counsel with an attorney regarding your defense of their disputing your receiving unemployment benefits. Further I would state to you that if you do not respond you'll automatically be disqualified and the monies which you have already received will have to be paid back to the state.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/9/2015
Click to View More Answers: