Could I get into Canada with a DUI charge? 8 Answers as of April 27, 2015

I have a DUI charge on my record. Is it difficult to get across the Canadian border if you have had a DUI? I heard a rumor that it is. How do the Canadian authorities find out if the crime happened in the US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
That's correct, you can't go. Their system is linked up to the US. You need to have successfully completed the entire term of probation, have nothing criminal pending, and not be on probation for any other offense(s). Contact a lawyer to file the petition for expungement on your behalf.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2015
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
It is difficult. You should get it expunged which seems to help.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2015
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
You can visit Canada one time with a waiver. Thereafter, you must follow the rules that are on Canada's website regarding admissions. Look at it online - it is very clear what must be done (and it is a pain.)
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/27/2015
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
No one cares IF you have a DUI conviction. The only issue is bond, and unresolved case.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/27/2015
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
Yes, there is a very good possibility that you will be stopped at the border.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/27/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Canadian immigration has computers, just like nearly all of us. I do not know if they still block entry into Canada for people with OWI (=DUI) convictions, but I understand they were doing so a few years ago. Why not call the Canadian consulate in Chicago and find out?
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 4/24/2015
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Yes, Canada generally does not allow entry to anyone who has been charged with a DUI in the past 10 years. You will need to apply for a temporary visa or to be deemed rehabilitated, through Canadian Immigration or their embassy.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/24/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Computers. And you should be able to get in and out of Canada, sober.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/24/2015
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!