Could I be responsible for a probate estate that was sold without my consent? Posted on January 23, 2011

Thank you for your help. Today, my brother called to tell me that he and my sister-in-law sold my parents home on a land contract and that monies were exchanged. My parents are deceased. The only asset left to be distributed was the home in West Chicago, Illinois, with the title being in a land trust at a bank in West Chicago. The home was owned outright by my mother and father. I reside in California. My brother and sister-in-law never informed me that a contract had been pending on the home, let alone that a contract had been signed on January 4th, monies exchanged, and the home sold. I had contacted the realtor a couple weeks ago, as well as my parents estate attorney, but neither the realtor or the attorney contacted me back with any information about any pending sale, or anything else.

My brother and sister-in-law claim they took money out of their personal savings of $6,000 to pay the realtor and that they further took $5,000 of the money they received from the buyer and gave it to the realtor for real estate fees. There is another $5,000 coming from the buyer on March 1st, but they will not tell me what they are going to do with it. My brother and sister-in-law informed that they will not provide me with a copy of the contract, or any bank transaction information.

The home was sold on January 4th, with the buyer being moved into the home since then. Am I entitled to a copy of the contract and the transaction information? I have not received any money from my brother and sister-in-law. I am a full-time student attending college. I live on financial aid and do not have a regular income. I am working hard to get myself through school, all on my own. I am afraid that because I am an owner in my parent's house, that should problems arise with the home contract, I will be held responsible for something I never agreed to in the first place. I never agreed, nor did I know that a sale was pending on my parent's home.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: