Could I be responsible for paying my spouses debt? 2 Answers as of July 24, 2011

My husband recently passed away after a sudden illness. I have received a statement from Lowe's indicating he had a charge card with them and he owes some money on the account. Am I responsible for paying this money owed on his charge account?

Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
It depends if he has assets that are separate, if you are the PR, and if you co-signed on the accounts. It is possible that you may not be responsible or have any liability but we would need to look at the complete circumstances.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A. | Laurie E. Ohall
If your name is not on the charge card and/or you were not an authorized user who made charges on the card, you should not be responsible for the bill. If they call asking you to pay the bill, let them know that no probate is being opened and there is no one who can pay the bill.