Could I apply for food stamps with a bankruptcy? 13 Answers as of February 26, 2014

I just file for a chapter 13 bankruptcy. I have to pay the IRS and my auto lender back funds (secure credit). My only income is social security disability. I don't have enough income for food.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Tokarska Law Center
Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
Under these limited facts, I am wondering who is helping you in your chapter 13 case because past due income taxes and past due car payments should have been made part of your Chapter 13 Plan payments. One of the considerations in confirming a chapter 13 is whether the plan is feasible. In order to be feasible you have to have regular income and be able to afford the regular Plan payments and of course your reasonable and necessary living expenses. Please talk with your bankruptcy attorney about your situation, if you have one. If you filed the case without an attorney, statistically speaking, chances that your case will successfully be confirmed is likely less than 1%. This process is too complex for the Do-It-Yourself. Perhaps under your financial situation (which of course I do not know it) a chapter 7 is the suitable solution. Please get a consultation with an attorney as soon as possible. There are deadlines for filing remaining documents, such as the Plan itself, which must be served upon the creditors, if such documents were not included in the initial filing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/26/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You can try.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/26/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
You should be able to apply and hopefully get accepted. The qualifications differ based on family size and income.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 2/26/2014
The Law Office of M Grater LLC
The Law Office of M Grater LLC | Mark O. Grater
Probably not a problem but I would run it by the food stamp people first.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 2/26/2014
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Being in a Chapter 13 doesn't prevent you from applying for food stamps but in a typical Chapter 13, you should have budgeted for the cost off all your necessities before suggesting a plan payment.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/26/2014
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    You should if otherwise qualify. Contact local office for assistance.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Whether you are eligible for food stamps or not has nothing to do with your bk filing. I suggest you pull the application and find out what the requirements are. I suspect you don't qualify because you are in a 13 which means you have disposable income.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Yes, you can apply for food stamps but whatever you get needs to be reported to the Chapter 13 trustee as additional income. Since your Chapter 13 payment is based on your ability to pay, you may be required to increase it as a consequence of the food assistance.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin | Eric W. I. Anglin
    Bankruptcy shouldn't have any impact on your eligibility for food stamps since it is income and need based. You will need to disclose the amount of food stamps that you receive to your attorney and the trustee.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    There is no reason for you be denied food stamps is otherwise eligible.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    You really need to contact your lawyer with all your questions related to your chapter 13 plan and case.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 2/25/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney