Could the company I used to work with send me to court after stealing $200 and could it be avoided? 24 Answers as of May 28, 2013

I stole $200 worth of money when I was working. I was fired and I offered to pay. I got a letter from civil, for extra money and I paid it. How can I avoid going to court? I did not get a notice yet. I just do not know what will happen.

James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
You shouldn't have paid that $200 civil. You should have gotten an attorney.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You will have to go to court. Your payments should be mitigating factors. Hire a lawyer.
Yes they could have you charged with theft. However they may not. get an attorney and have him or her check it out.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
If you get served, you must appear. You can plead that there was an "offer and compromise" or only "de minimis" harm to get the case withdrawn.
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
Were you arrested? Did the police come and issue a ticket for stealing? If not, then nothing will probably happen, but it's possible that the company may contact the police later and press charges against you. The prosecutor has up to a year to charge you with a misdemeanor.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Hire an attorney to defend you and he or she will go over the facts of the case and the strengths and weaknesses of the people's case against you.
    If they got the restitution they may not press criminal charges. You should not talk to anyone about the matter and retain a good criminal lawyer if you are arrested or contacted by the police.
    Just sit tight and pray you don't get charged.
    Stealing is a problem. You cannot avoid going to court, if the prosecutor chooses to prosecute you for theft. No one knows what will happen. I recommend that you go to court prepared.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    If they do not want to proceed to a criminal prosecution, and they are satisfied with the civil penalty and your termination, you may not see criminal charges. No news is good news.
    If they file theft charges, you will be arrested. They can do so even if you paid their demand. Many companies will, on principle. You should have hired an attorney earlier. Now, if serious about doing so, contact me. If done in time, an attorney may be able to negotiate with the company for a civil compromise agreement that could avoid criminal charges being filed.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    If the former employer reports the incident to the police, it is likely to be charged. Your hope is that the employer does not report the matter to the authorities. Unless you can convince the employer to remain silent, you have no control over whether the case is charged.
    To go to court on a criminal charge you would have to be charged, arrested and booked into jail. If this has not happened don't do anything to make it happen.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    If you paid money back, nothing else you can do.
    It depends on whether the company notifies the police. If they don't, that Wii ne the end of it. If the police get involved, you will probably be charged with a misdemeanor. Jail is unlikely and you should remain silent.
    You may be lucky and no criminal charges were filed.
    You can't. By paying them the civil demand you simply made the criminal case against you a lot easier to prosecute. You've basically indirectly admitted that you did it. Now you really need a lawyer to get you out of this jam.
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    Retain an attorney to fully discuss everything and conclude what the best option is.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    You cant avoid it. It will either happen or not. Don't make any more admissions or talk to anyone but your own attorney if you get charged.
    Langford Law Firm
    Langford Law Firm | Theresa Langford
    First, do not share any more of this information publicly again, as it could be interpreted as an admission. You don't mention how much time has passed, but it sounds like they are willing to let it go, and did not report it to the police. You can periodically (every few months) call the police department (anonymously) and inquire if there is an outstanding warrant in your name. If you do get notice, then be prepared with a retainer for an attorney and a bondsman.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    You are charged with a crime, get an attorney, you cannot avoid going to court without one.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    If your company got its money back and then some, they may not wish to press charges. However, you did steal, so you committed a crime. If they press charges, you can be found guilty of theft. Since they got their money back, you won't owe restitution, but you will owe fines and costs. Your crime has a statute of limitations, meaning that after so long a time, they won't be able to bring the charges. Check with a criminal defense lawyer to find out what the limitations period is. They can still bring charges on the very last day of the limitations period.