Could an entertainment attorney help me with my songwriting career? 5 Answers as of August 31, 2015

I'm a songwriter. A publisher in Belgium is interested in two of my songs and has expressed interest in entering into agreements for mechanical licensing, single song, and master rights with me. I have attorney contacts in one state but I'm seeking to create a relationship with an Entertainment Attorney here in another state. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
You can hire an attorney anywhere, U.S. or overseas, to help you with this.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/31/2015
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
A good music attorney could certainly read the contracts, look at the publisher, and explain things to you. Most likely, your songs should be registered for copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office and you should name a publisher and join a PRO. Then whatever international use of the songs you may wish to work out with this publisher or with others, that is icing on the cake, if the contract is right for your needs. As to a masters use license, this pertains to a particular recording and would be worked out with your record label, if you have one, or with you, pertaining to a particular use of a particular recording of a song by a particular party for a particular purpose. A good music lawyer should know about these things and should be able to explain them all to you. She will also be able to read the contract being offered or write a suitable contract. If you have songs that are being recorded by others overseas, you may need to belong to an international PRO or to international publishing administrator.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/26/2015
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
You should probably talk to your attorney contacts to get a referral. An entertainment attorney typically just works with contracts. Publishing is generally a copyright and is handled by an Intellectual Property attorney or Patent attorney. Generally an attorney does not help promote a songwriter. You might want a literary agent. Start by asking your attorney contacts to get a referral.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/25/2015
Microtechnology Law & Analysis | Daniel Flamm
Given the things you said, I think it is better to work with a single attorney who knows you well and will do a good job for you. Consider looking for another attorney if you are not satisfied with the one you are now working with.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/25/2015
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
Yes - you should consult with an entertainment lawyer before signing ANY contracts regarding your songs. GOOD LUCK!
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: