Could an employer change the amount of lunch time? 3 Answers as of August 13, 2015

When I first hired in I took 60 min. lunches. Three months later I was forced by my employer to take a 75 min. lunch and work 15 min. of overtime, in order to stay 30 min. latter. Today I was notified that from this point I now have to take 90 min. lunches instead of getting 15 minutes of overtime. Can an employer change a meal period from 60 min. (first hired) to 90 min.? Is this legal under Labor Laws?

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
Generally, an employer may change hours any way the wish, so long as they comply with the wage and hour laws.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
It depends so contact the Wisconsin Equal Rights Division and/or check out the website for access to the law or contact an attorney if needed.
Preston & Brar, LLC | Jesse Brar
Under the applicable labor law (the FLSA and Utah law), the employer is not required to provide for a meal break to employees. However, if the employer provides an unpaid meal break, then the employee must be relieved of duties during that break and the break must be spent predominantly for the benefit of the employee. But, if the employer is making the employees take a meal break (more than about 15-20 minutes, shorter breaks are considered time worked), then the employees must not be required to work during that break. If you are working during the 90 minute meal break (or some portion of it), then the employer must compensate you for that time worked. If your total number of hours worked in a workweek exceed 40 hours, then the employer must pay you overtime at the rate of 1.5 times your regular rate of pay.