Contacting the DMV after being pulled over on suspicion of DUI 4 Answers as of July 13, 2010

If I contact the DMV (within 10 days of being pulled over this weekend on suspicion of driving under the influence) will it be an admission of guilt?

No. Do it if you have any legitimate grounds to contest the stop. Otherwise you automatically lose your license for a year in California. Winning the hearing is tough, but you cant if you dont try.

If you intend to hire an attorney for the DUI or for the DMV hearing, feel free to contact me.
The Mosca Law Firm
The Mosca Law Firm | Stephen A. Mosca
A suspicion of DUI stop, if you are arrested, triggers a two-part result. One part is the administrative portion that involves the department of highway safety and motor vehicles, and the other part is the criminal case.

Answering the administrative portion does not admit guilt in the criminal case in any way.In fact, it is an important step to take to try to preserve your driving privilege for as long as possible and can actually be helpful to your criminal case. These are complex issues and I recommend you consult an experienced attorney.

But certainly answer the citation within the 10 days, by certified mail, to preserve your license. Good luck!
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
No - just setting the DMV hearing is in no way an admission of any sort. You must set that hearing or your license will be suspended by the DMV, even if no charges are filed. Any statements you make DURING the hearing can potentially be used against you, but given the nature of the proceedings, it's rare that you would testify. Your attorney can advise you further about the DMV hearing, the limited issues they address and any defenses you may have.
Hale Law Group
Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
No, it is not an admission of guilt. It is the only means of fighting the DUI with the DMV. If you do not contact the DMV within ten days, it is an automatic suspension, which is similar to admitting guilt.