Do I have a right to ask for child support now? 4 Answers as of January 30, 2012

I have been divorced for 5 years and have never asked for child support, due to the fact that I made more money than my ex and the extended visitation for the children. We share legal custody and I have primary physical custody. However I gave my ex extended visitation, and split the time 50/50 in the divorce papers. However since I divorced him I have been keeping our son 65% of the time due to a work schedule conflict with my ex. My son is getting older and wants to do some sports and activities like karate and my ex won't agree to pay his portion of it. (it was never addressed in the divorce) Do I have a right to ask for child support now? I have been told that if I do ask for child support that I might have to pay my ex because I make more money and he has extended visitation. Any advise would be helpful, thank you in advance.

Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
You should be able to ask for child support now, but you need to discuss the details of your particular situation with an attorney regarding how much the child support would be.
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
Yes, so long as the child has not reached the age of majority, you can petition the superior court of the county where your ex-spouse lives for a change in child support.
SHAPIRO LAW GROUP | ERIC L. SHAPIRO
The short answer is that I would need to review the original settlement agreement. If you have a greater custodial share, than it is possible you could be receiving support. However, a more detailed financial analysis and review of the visitation plan would be required.