Can my step father gain my custody? 1 Answers as of February 03, 2012

My mother and step father are now divorced. I am 14 years old and my mom is a single mother who works 24 hour shifts as a firefighter, leaving me to babysit my two younger half siblings over night, and every other day. Lately, things at home have not been going well. I feel as if I am being mentally abused to a degree, and honestly I don't want to live with my mother anymore. But my main question is how hard would it be for my step dad to gain custody of me? If they were to try to go to court, what would a judge see this case as? My father lives in California while I live in Washington. I'd really like to know what needs to get done.

Your step-father has no rights to you. He would have to prove both your Mother and Father unfit or adopt you. Have you tried talking to your Mother. Could you suggest going to a counselor alone and then having the counselor bring in your Mother so you could explain your concerns?