car accident 3 Answers as of April 15, 2011

I was in an automobile accident that was my fault. I panicked and left but within 30 min. called the police to report the accident and cooperated with them on everything. The owner of the car wasn't driving and I was told there were no injuries to the other people in the other car but they are charging me with 2 felonies because there were 2 people in the car that I hit. It was truly an accident.

Leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offense. It there are no injuries the charge would be a misdemeanor charge. If anyone was injured in the other vehicle the offense would be a felony. The difference between whether the charge is felony or misdemeanor lis determined by the injuries.
The are probably charging you with leaving the scene of an accident with injuries, 2 counts. If neither party was injured, they would be misdemeanors. When a party is injured at all, it can be a felony. We often can get those cases down to misdemeanors if the injuries were minor. Get an attorney who knows how to handle criminal cases. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.
In Alabama, LSA without injuries is a misdemeanor. Stay well.