Can’t I stick with the amount that she originally told me under the court? 5 Answers as of March 01, 2017

I went to court for chapter 13 and had my 1st hearing. The attorney told me an amount of $900. A couple of days later, they told me an increase of $700 more. She stated that she calculated wrong all this time.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
The math is what the math is. I'd have someone else check the math.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/1/2017
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
That depends on why the change is being made. If the trustee has objected to the lower amount, you may be required to pay the higher amount.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/28/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
So are you thinking that your attorney just increased the size of your plan payment because she is being an awful person? Because generally there is one of two reasons why the trustee would demand more money ? 1 ? because the debts you must pay in order for your plan to pay them off came in at a higher amount than you estimated and 2 ? because the expenses you claimed you had to offset your income were not reasonable or you were not able to prove they actually existed.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/28/2017
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
No, you cant stick with the original estimate no matter how wrong it was. Your chapter 13 payments is going to be based on a combination of the type of debt you have, your income, and the value of your assets. It is not based on what your attorney originally estimated. Your attorney can not change the law. You can have another attorney take a second look at it.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 2/28/2017
Scott Goldstein | Scott Goldstein
Ask your attorney why it went up so much. There may have been a significant additional debt that you need to take care of. Your taxing authority may have come back with a lot of money that you owe. Your disposable income may have been way higher than you thought, if you include your tax refund. There's all sorts of reasons it may have been up. That being said you can't keep the original amount most likely.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 2/28/2017
Click to View More Answers: