Cann I sue for being falsely accused of shoplifting? 10 Answers as of June 14, 2013

Yesterday I went into a 99¢ store to look for a few things I needed. I was only in the store a few minutes when I seen an unsavory gentleman following me. I walked up a few isles, noticed they didn\\'t have what I was looking for, and that this man was in the next isle still staring at me. This scared me,so I quickly left.
It terrified me, when I noticed he was still following me. He came up behind me in the parking lot telling me I needed to come back in the store with him. I said no, until he pulled a badge out. Then I walked back towards the store.
He escorted me back to the doorway of the store, and infront of all the other patrons and store employees he accused me of stealing. After looking inside my bag, he told me it was store policy to check women who carry oversized bags, and said I was free to go. No apology...nothing.
I started to walk away, but went back in and asked to speak to a manager. The cashier told me she was not there. At this told me he was the manager, and asked me to go to the back room with him. I said no, informed him he was not the manager, left, called corporate, and filed a complaint.

You can sue but you will have difficulty finding a lawyer because your possible recovery would not be much for a brief detention.
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
Probably not. In order to bring a civil suit, you have to have been damaged somehow. I don't see any damages in your situation.
Possibly. I suggest that you contact an experienced attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your case. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze you case and advise you of your options.content and subject should not be modified, otherwise your answer will not be valid.
Cann I sue ? Sure, anyone can sue anyone for anything, but it is going to cost you a lot of attorney fees and court costs, and you are not going to win or recover anything based upon those facts of minor inconvenience and a little embarrassment. You weren't arrested or imprisoned.
Law Office of Anthony Sessa
Law Office of Anthony Sessa | Anthony Sessa
Yes. First thing you must do asap, is to go to your nearest police department and report a crime of false imprisonment and get them to at least take a report so that you have a paper trail. Secondly, I believe you have a good civil lawsuit that should be filed against the store and the individual for defamation and false imprisonment. This 99 cent store needs a good lesson to be taught.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Yes. What are your damages?
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    You may have a law suit. It probably will not make you rich, but you should consult a lawyer who handles civil matters. There is a statute of limitations running so you should contact a civil lawyer immediately.
    It would be a small claims action , but I believe there is a statute which permits a store to detain a person where they have reason to believe the person detained has stolen something. That does not seem like the case here.
    You have an excellent law suit. Get a good civil lawyer. I'd put up some signs near the store asking anyone who saw that event to call you. These people witnessed your humiliation. When you file suit you can get the names of all the people working there at that time and then depose them about what they saw. By the way, you handled this perfectly. I wish all my clients were as smart as you.
    Sure, just be ready to pay an attorney a couple hundred bucks an hour for his/her time.