Can your boss fire you because you gave your two weeks notice? 3 Answers as of May 31, 2011

I gave my two weeks notice at the office where I work, and my boss fired me on the spot. I told him out of professional courtesy and was counting on 2 more weeks of work to cover my expenses while I looked for a new job. Can I be fired because I gave my two week?

David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
Yes. That would go right back to the fact that Florida is an At Will Employment state meaning you can be fired at any time without warning for no reason. Giving a two week notice is an acceptable reason because an employer can simply say that since you were leaving they did not want to keep paying you because its common knowledge that when an employee knows they are leaving they won't work as hard. Even if this is not true in your case, an employer can still believe that.
Komanapalli Massey LLP
Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
In a word, No! His/her doing so is retaliatory and subjects him/her to a lawsuit by which you may recover potentially massive amounts for lost wages, damage to your reputation (for having been fired) and disabling you from finding other employment, and many other forms of damages for contract and tort claims you may assert. We would be happy to assist you in this matter if you are in our area (the Los Angeles area) and wish to retain our firm.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Marcelo Dieguez
Under California law, the answer is yes. An employer can terminate you under the circumstances as you described them.