Can you use a different attorney to re-open a chapter 13 case? 12 Answers as of September 23, 2013

I have a lien on my home that was prior to be filing chapter 13. The lien was put on three months before I filed and I was also garnish for the same debt. My attorneys lifted the garnishment through bankruptcy. I was just notified of the lien and when I contacted the attorney they said that this is something I should have told them and now they want more money to go and reopen the case to lift the lien. This case has been discharged.

Yes, you can hire a different lawyer.
Yes you can use a different attorney.
Fears Nachawati | Sean T. Flynn
You may hire another attorney to file the motion to reopen. You may always fire an hire an attorney. There are court fees and attorney costs associated with filing this motion, further the attorney will have to file a motion to remove the lien. (However I would need more information about the specific lien).
Charles R. Chesnutt, P.C.
Charles R. Chesnutt, P.C. | Charles R. Chesnutt
Yes you can hire a different attorney to re-open the case but why not use the same lawyer? Reopening this one would probably be a very good idea, if the lien is avoidable.
Joseph Lehn, Esq
Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
You can retain a different attorney to re-open a chapter 13 case.
    It is going to cost a lot more money to reopen your case and remove the lien. You may find someone cheaper, but it is likely they will be learning at your expense and will take much longer to get the job done and tell you that they need more money as well. The last time this happened with one of my ex clients, she thought she would save $400, but it took the inexperienced attorney a year & 5 court appearances to complete the job.
    Elkington Law
    Elkington Law | Sally Elkington
    You can use a different attorney to reopen your case and deal with the lien. An attorney may be able to resolve it without re opening the case. As well. Talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    I suspect what you actually filed was a chapter 7. Yes you can retain a different attorney.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    You have no obligation to use your original attorney.
    Law Offices of David A. Tilem | Michael Avanesian
    Yes, you can hire a different attorney.
    William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
    It is beyond me how this slipped through. You can use a different attorney, but it may be more expensive. It was your original attorney's job to ask you about all liens.
    The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
    Yes, you may use a different attorney. It is possible this does not need to be resolved through reopening. It is also possible this cannot be resolved through reopening. It depends on the situation. When you go to talk to the attorney, take all of your paperwork regarding the bankruptcy and the debt to make things easier.