Can you tell me what rule applies in this story? 7 Answers as of April 22, 2014

Person A saw the bug and removed it from person B's plate. Person B got upset at person A and threw the plate at person A. However, person A, who is very fast, quickly ducked and dodged the plate, but the plate ended up hitting the person C. Because of this unexpected assault and battery person C's wife stood up and knocked out person B. In the course of physical fighting between person B and person C's wife, person D jumped in and maimed both of them to break off the fight. In this story, who gave damage to whom and what rule applies here? My co-workers think person A and person C can sue person B for damages. But I would like to know a lawyer's opinion.

My opinion is that person B is a jacka**.
We normally do not answer such hypothetical on this web site. But A and C certainly have a claim against B. Depending on whether D used a reasonable amount of force or not, D might have liability. C's wife was not engaged in self defense so she is liable to B.
You have a right to defend yourself. You don't have any right butting into someone else's problem.
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Answer: I love it when a potential client writes to me in law school format. Dear A, B, C or D did you hear the one about the guy who walks into the bar tells a joke to X, Y and Z who then laugh so hard they can hardly P? Okay, you get my point. Interesting story about what starts out with a bug and ends up with four people engaging in assault in some form or another. Without knowing what was said and done and in the sequence it happened, I'd be guessing. As a for-instance, what caused B to react as they did to A? And where A and B horsing around or was B seriously trying to hit A? As a side note; Is D a southpaw and wow what a punch she has! Maybe she should be in cage fighting. Which brings up another point. If D has that sort of power to do a TKO on B, then where did D learn to throw a punch and what is her background? Are her hands registered, professionally trained (which might put her in another category with different liability) or is D just a B?
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Hugan Law | Christopher Hugan
I'm pretty sure I saw this on Jerry Springer. Ultimately, it was resolved by Judge Judy and the video went viral. I think all letters of the alphabet should lawyer up. The doors to the courthouse are open.
    Lawyer for Independent Media
    Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
    These are the kind of questions you might work on in a high school pretend law class. As real lawyers, we don't have time for this. We work on real world situations. Our time is valuable and our knowledge is precious.