Can you tell me more about personal protection order and domestic charge? 10 Answers as of June 12, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
This is a very general question so I can only make very general statement. An order of protection is a court order one person gets against another for that person to stay away from and have no contact with the other person. The order can also not be a "Stay away ' order but be one that allows contact ( phone, email, text even in person etc) but states that the person is not to harass or annoy etc the other person. By a domestic charge usually this refers to a domestic dispute such as an argument among family members. If violence occurred it is then a domestic violence case and usually there are charges brought in the domestic violence part of the appropriate court.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/4/2012
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You go to court and ask for a TPO. The judge schedules a hearing, and you present your evidence of domestic violence. If the judge grants you a TPO, the person must stay away. If they do not, then they are arrested for aggravated stalking, and typically denied a bond.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/29/2012
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
Against you or for you? I think you are asking about a criminal protective order connected to a criminal charge involving domestic violence. This is issued by the court on the DA's request so that the victim can be protected against contact by the defendant. The terms are set by the court and can be as light as "no violent contact" (e.g., the defendant can still have contact with the victim, so long as that contact is not violent) to "no contact at all" which means exactly what it says.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/28/2012
Attorney at Law | Michael P. Vollandt
Criminal Protection Orders are issued by the Clout if there is a criminal domestic violence charge and they basically keep the restrained person (defendant) away from you, your work, school, car, etc. A civil restraining order are very much the same but you have to initiate it with a request for a DV restraining order.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/26/2012
Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
Domestic violence is a 93 day misdemeanor which comes with a no contact with the victim order. A ppo is an order preventing contact issued through the circuit court.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/26/2012
    Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman
    Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman | Brian K. Wanerman
    If you are a victim of domestic violence, you should go to court and file for a restraining order. Depending on your jurisdiction, this might be handled at the criminal courthouse, the family courthouse or another courthouse. Check with the court to make sure. If an order has been sought/granted against you, you must be given a copy. You must follow all the requirements listed in the order no matter how unfair you think they are. If you don't obey any part of the order, you can be found in contempt and jailed. The first order issue is a temporary order. You will have the opportunity to go to court and argue why the order should be lifted and/or not be made permanent. Consult an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/26/2012
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    What do you want to know?
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 9/26/2012
    Law Offices of John Carney
    Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
    In New York State if you are arrested on an assault or other domestic violence charges the case will be sent to a Unified Domestic Violence court for all the proceedings instead of having to go to Divorce Court, Family Court and Criminal Court. Sometimes if there was no marriage the case may go to Family Court for child support and visitation issues. An Order of Protection will be issued to protect the victim known as the complainant. If the defendant violates the order he will be charged with contempt. The defendant may go to trial or plead guilty. If he pleads guilty he will probably receive a 6 week or 12 week counseling program for anger management or other issues and be placed on probation for 3 or 5 years in most cases. The Order of Protection can be modified to allow him to see the complainant or his children or it may remain a full order to stay away. For 150 years American Courts and the police looked the other way as men beat and abused their wives and girlfriends but after the OJ Simpson case prosecutors got tough with violent men or women who are abusive or who injure their partners. Women must learn to date educated, kind, successful men who respect them and stay away from uneducated, addicted, abusive, manipulative cowards that beat them, abuse them, and try to control them. If you sleep with dogs you get fleas.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/26/2012
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Yes, that can be done, but any attorney will need to know the facts and circumstances in order to do this. Each case is different and each case demands the personal attention of a competent family lawyer. Hire one in your area.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 9/26/2012
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    It is something you need to speak with an attorney about.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/12/2013
Click to View More Answers: