Can you sue for being falsely accused me of shoplifting? 2 Answers as of June 20, 2011

My friend and I were walking through dillards with our backpacks. We were looking at emerchandise just like every other shopper then we decided not to buy anything so we put the merchandise back and left. About 10 minutes later a Dillards employee approached and two officers. they asked to search our bags and we cooperated and they found that we were innocenta and walked away. We were embarrassed in front of everyone for no reason. What legal actions can I take? I believe that they also singled us out because we were African American.

Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
You may have a small lawsuit there.
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
This is a civil rights questions, not a criminal defense question. I urge you to re-submit your question and select the category of civil rights to receive a response from an attorney with experience in that subject area. One thing you have to consider in any potential civil suit is whether you have sufficient damages because you were harmed by the alleged bad conduct. I don't know what value the law assigns (if any) to embarrassment. A complaint requesting a public apology may be an avenue to consider.