Can you make large purchases before your bankruptcy is discharged? 3 Answers as of November 11, 2010

I filed for bankruptcy, and it has not been finalized yet, but I really need to buy a car. I had to sell mine to live, but now that I have a new job, and I need a car to get there. Can I do this while my bankruptcy is still going through? If so, how will it affect the bankruptcy?

That depends on what chapter of bankruptcy you filed, and you have not provided that information.

In a Chapter 7 case, you can purchase anything you want as long as you are not using funds that belong to the Chapter 7 Trustee (and that depends on how far along you are in the case and what exemptions you took on your assets). If you are simply talking about financing a new vehicle for no down payment, that shouldn't be a problem.

In a Chapter 11 or Chapter 13 case, you would need court approval to do so.
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
You should consult with the attorney representing you in the bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: South Dakota
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
It should have no effect on your discharge.