Can you hire a tax attorney in place of an accountant? 5 Answers as of December 03, 2010

I am trying to get a head start on my taxes, and I have heard a lot of good things about tax attorneys lately. Is there a reason to consult a tax attorney before filing taxes instead of hiring an accountant? Can they provide the same kind of help?

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
CPA should be fine for most things
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
For preparing a tax return, a good accountant is usually sufficient. For tax planning you could seek out either an accountant or an attorney who specializes in that area. For a tax audit or a tax collection matter, you again would have to seek either an accountant or a tax attorney who specializes in those areas. If it is a criminal tax matter, or if you have to go to Tax Court or the U.S. District Court, you would need to seek a tax attorney who practices in those areas.
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
Yes- attorneys tend to be forward looking. CPAs look back. Happy to talk with you.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
If you have issues with your taxes, I would suggest going to accountant first who can advise whether your situation needs a lawyer's advice. For tax preparation, an accountant is preferable as it involves complying with the tax code.
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
Yes, you can hire a tax attorney in place of an accountant. But why would you do so? Tax attorneys - good ones - typically charge at least $200 per hour more than an accountant. An accountant is normally the one to prepare an income tax return. Tax attorneys normally deal with tax planning.