Can you help me get a divorce from my illegal husband? 13 Answers as of June 22, 2011

My husband left me almost 2 years ago. He is illegal and we have a son. I have no job and need help with a divorce.

Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
You should consult with an attorney in your area. If you cannot afford to have an attorney represent you, you might still be able to have an attorney assist you in representing yourself, such as by preparing the documents you will need and giving you advice on the steps you will need to take.
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You will need to contact a licensed attorney in TN with this request.
Go to your local Superior Court's self-help clinic for assistance with your divorce.
Horizons Law Group, LLC
Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
Depending on which area you live in, there may be a legal aid type service to help you file given no income/job at this time. Check your phone book or call the state bar hotline for the service in your area.
Yes, you can. Go to the self help center at your local courthouse for assistance. You can also contact your local bar association for a referral to someone who would assist you on a pro bono case.
    Komanapalli Massey LLP
    Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
    If you are unable to pay the retainer and legal fees we or any family law attorneys would charge, you may do the divorce yourself with the assistance of the court facilitator. They will not appear for you, you would act as your own attorney in pro per, but they can help you to get the right forms filled out and filed. Good luck.
    This is an advice site only. You may be able to find what is known as a pro bono attorney (meaning free) at the local Bar Association in your area if you qualify. Call them and find out.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    Unfortunately you need more help than I can give here. Please seek out the Legal Aid Society near you. They may be able to provide the assistance you need.
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
    You can do it yourself! Go to the court for your jurisdiction and, if you are in Connecticut, the Court Service Center can assist you in filing.
    Absolutely. It is easy. You may have to do 'Service by Publication' (or some other mechanism) if the father cannot be found, but you can then obtain a Judgment by Default.
    You should consult with a divorce lawyer near you about obtaining a divorce.
    Call your local bar association which may have a pro bono project.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    If you are not working and have no money for attorneys fees, you might want to contact a legal aid type facility in your area. You should be able to obtain a divorce and custody of your child even under your circumstances, but you need to consult with a lawyer regarding how to proceed in your case. You probably would need to file a divorce petition and a motion for service by publication if you do not know your husband's whereabouts. There are certain procedural steps that you need to take that would be best for a lawyer to undertake.