Can you go to jail for being in contempt? 2 Answers as of July 20, 2011

My kids are refusing to go to their dads. The dad is saying I will be put in jail for the contempt charges of not sending them on his days. Is this true?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
It is possible that a jail term could be imposed for contempt. In most cases, a court would have to hold you in contempt and threaten you with jail time if you did not purge your contempt, ordinarily by beginning to comply from that point forward. It is very unusual for jail terms to be imposed in visitation disputes, though failure to facilitate visitation is often used as an argument in change of custody disputes. If you have reason to fear for the children's safety, you should seek to address that through the court. If you do not, you should do as much as you can to encourage your children to visit in compliance with the court order.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/20/2011
Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
There are many potential punishments for contempt of court, one of which is incarceration. Why not head this off and see a domestic relations attorney about revising visitation to satisfy the kids you and dad?
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: