Can you get the residency prior to the green card when applying from a sibling? 3 Answers as of February 07, 2011

I know it takes about 10 years to get the green card from a sibling, I also know you can file I-130 and I-485 at the same time. How long does it take to get permanent residency in that case? I am not talking about the green card but just the residency. I am 24 years old under f1 visa my sister is an U.S citizen.

A Green Card and residency are the same thing. You cannot file an I-130 and I-485 at the same time in your case. First, your sister has to file an I-130. Then when the priority date is current (which will be at least 10 years) you can file an I-485, assuming you are in status.
You have to have a legal status to live in USA.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
First, the green card is the residency. "Green card" is a slang that came up because the residency card was originally green. It was issued in different colors, depending on the years. It was pink at one time, then became cream, then it recently became green again. Second: Unless you are from Mexico or the Philippines, it takes about 10 years. Third: When filing thru a sister or brother, the I-130 is first filed first (not together with the i-485). It will be time to file the I-485 (or do consulate processing) when the visa becomes current. This usually happens about 10 years after the I-130 was filed.