Can you get a driver's license back when you have a judgement against you? 13 Answers as of May 30, 2013

I had a huge judgement against me for my girlfriend having an accident with my car. It wasn't insured the car. The insurance company of the car she hit sued me I can't pay and they suspended my license.

Goodman & Goodman PA | Bruce Elliott Goodman
In order to have your suspension lifted, you will either have to satisfy the judgment by means of settlement or payment of the judgment in full, or by having the judgment discharged in Bankruptcy.
The insurance co did not suspend your license. DMV did because you did not insure the car. You normally would have to pay the judgment to get your license restored.
The Olawale Law Firm | Emmanuel Olawale
You have to reach an agreement with insurance company, either enter a payment plan or pay the entire damages and the insurance company would execute a Release you can take to the Department of Motor Vehicles to have your license reinstated.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
Yes you can, either by satisfying the judgment with payment in full or by agreeing to a payment plan with the Creditor.
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
Washington's financial responsibility laws are fairly strict. RCW 46.29 ( http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.29 ). Ultimately, getting your driver's license back is something you have to work out with the Department of Licensing. It may be that a bankruptcy would discharge the debt, but you would have to speak with a bankruptcy attorney about that.
    The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C. | Paul A. Samakow
    You cannot get your license back unless you petition the Court where the judgment was taken and explain to the judge that it was your girlfriend, and not you, who caused the accident.
    Terpak Law | Stephen Michael Terpak
    Your failure to have car insurance did not cause the accident and injury. Generally, if you did not cause the accident, you cannot legally be liable for your girlfriend's actions, unless she was working for you at the time of the crash. If you had defended this lawsuit, you may have easily won it. However, if you don't defend a lawsuit, a judgment can be entered against you even if it is not based on good law. You may be able to reopen the case, or have the judgment overturned, depending on the facts and how long it has been since the judgment was entered. Unfortunately, once your license is suspended for this type of thing, it is hard to get it back without paying the judgment or getting the judgment overturned.
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Retain an accident or civil law attorney for specific legal advice to see if you can get at least restricted driving piviledges from the court in spite of the accident.
    ROWE LAW FIRM
    ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
    In Louisiana the DMV will reinstate your driver's license if you agree to pay and reach a payment plan agreement with the victim. They may reinstate your license if the legal obligation to pay is otherwise discharged, i.e., you take bankruptcy and the judgment against you is eliminated or discharged with your other debts in bankruptcy.
    Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
    No.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    Driving without Insurance. All motor vehicles driven in New York must be properly insured. Failure to provide proof of valid auto insurance can result in your license being revoked for one year. If you allow another person to use your uninsured vehicle or if the uninsured vehicle is involved in an accident, the same penalty applies. You should find out when license was suspended and go to Department of Motor Vehicles to see if can be renewed if after one year. However, you will still have the judgement against your credit until said judgement is paid. This may cause both credit problems and ability to obtain insurance.
    Gilbert & Bourke, LLP | Brian J. Bourke
    Generally you have to provide proof to the DMV that you have paid the judgment in order to have your licenses re-instated in California.