Can you get an arrest warrant for a complaint filed a year before? 8 Answers as of March 22, 2013

I filed a complaint about my boyfriend after a dispute. A year later we get an arrest warrant for it in the mail. It's like they skipped all the steps just to get bail money! I want the charges dropped and for him to not have a record.

I would need further information to answer. You should hie an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances and to talk to the prosecuting attorney to see if you can convince him to drop the charges.
You are going to have to talk to the prosecutor about the matter.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
You do not have the power to "drop the charges" as many women wish to. You can ask his lawyer to convey your wishes to the prosecutor who will take them into consideration. This has nothing to do with bail money. You had him arrested and it took a long time for some reason and now he will have to answer those charges.
In Illinois, police have 18 months to file charges for a misdemeanor, and 3 years to file them for a felony. At this point, it is not your decision to drop charges, as only the prosecutor has the legal authority to drop them, as the state has picked up this case. ?You can talk to the prosecutor, but the decision is his alone, to make.
You don't say whether or not you moved, or whether they had a proper address to locate your BF, or whether your BF may have been avoiding prosecution. The warrant may be completely proper. Your BF had best comply... at minimum retain an attorney to help him. Domestic violence cases are very serious issues.. once the complaint is made, they very seldom simply let the matter go. You have absolutely no control over what the prosecutor elects to do.
    Yes it can, and no and you cannot get it dropped. When you called the cops you began an irreversible process, and it will play out to its fullest until the end. Prosecutors will never drop charges simply because the victim has had a change of heart (which happens in 90% of all DV cases). Your boyfriend needs a lawyer, first to recall the warrant and then to represent him in court.
    Yes. In one year, it is unlikely that any statutes of limitations have passed. The time lapse, however, may give strength to arguments related to pretrial release for a defense attorney.
    Furlong & Drewniak PLLC
    Furlong & Drewniak PLLC | Thaddeus Furlong, Esq.
    If it's a misdemeanor charge the police have a year to file it. If a felony, there is no expiration time.