Can you file a lawsuit against an ex employer for slander? 12 Answers as of December 17, 2013

I left my job of 8 yrs about two months ago, I've been desperately seeking employment but had no luck. Just last week a buddy of mine was accused of theft. He is sat down and interrogated by his employer. After the meeting he brings to my attention that my former employer stated to his employer that I was behind the theft of last week, and I had confessed the whole thing to him a week ago right before quitting. I have not been nowhere near my ex employers building for 2 months, I don't understand why he would try to incriminate me for this. I resigned from my prior job because I felt I was being treated unfairly, never filled anything to unemployment office after. Just wanted to forget the whole thing but it keeps coming back. Do I have a case?

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
You may sue for slander, but you will not win unless you can prove actual monetary damages. No mental damages, pain/suffering, etc. You are likely to win nothing.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
Extremely difficult case to prove. I suggest you move on.
Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
Based upon the details provided, you may have a cause of action against your former employer for slander as well as possibly on other legal grounds. Slander and similar actions in Connecticut are, however, often not cost-effective to pursue due to the difficulty of establishing damages.
Jeffery M. Navarro, Attorney at Law | Jeffery M. Navarro
In order to maintain such an action, you would have to prove that you were damaged: that is, that you could not find a job because your former employer is saying untrue damaging things about you. If that can be shown, then you may have a claim.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You might have a case if you can convince your friend to testify that your former employer made the statement that he allegedly did, because your former employer will probably deny that he ever made such a statement. If you can convince the court that he made the statement, knowing that it was false at the time he made it you may have a case of slander per se where damage to your name and reputation would be presumed. Be advised that the statute of limitations is a year from the date the former employer allegedly made the statement to your buddy.
    Possibly, the false accusation of a crime in such a case is an a slander or libel.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Yes you might have a case, but it would be difficult to prove substantial economic harm. If you want to pursue this case, you should retain legal counsel immediately. Time is of the essence in situations such as this.
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    From a legal standpoint, if the statements you referred to are false, then you could have a claim vs. the employer. The Statute of Limitations would be 2 yrs from the date of the actions complained of.
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    If it true you can, you will have to prove your damages. Also in defamation cases you will have to deal with Anti Slapp motion filed by the employer.
    Law Office of Russell J. Thomas, Jr. | Russell J. Thomas, Jr.
    Yes; if you can prove that the statements were not true.
    Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
    Possibly YES. You should consider seeking professional assistance in this regard.